Aggiepride

In the Rotation
Reaction score

I'd probably be the worst GM in the NFL but at least I'd be different, LOL. My general approach to all sports agents would be this.

You've had 4 years, 5 years, even 6 years because we franchise tagged your player. How many SBs did you get me (I'll settle for losses)? Oh, none? Okay, that drops your player 5 spots.

How many NFC Championship games did you get me (I'll settle for losses)? Oh none? Okay, that drops your player another 5 spots. So now the most I'm willing to pay for your player is number 10 money.

How many playoff games has your player won? Oh, none? Oh, one and done? Now your player drops another 5 spots. So the most I'll pay is number 15 money.

"But but but my player led the NFL in XYZ, he made the pro-bowl!" Okie dokie, he can do that on another team. Bye bye.

I'd have every Cowboy fan screaming at me. "HOW CAN YOU NOT SIGN THAT PLAYER". I'd get on one of the shows and explain "because I reward real production and real production around here is SBs, not pro-bowls".

I'd probably be fired quickly, but you get what you reward. If you reward stats you'll get players chasing stats. Chasing INTs and not tackling. Chasing sacks and not playing the run. Chasing TD passes and not audibling to a run.

Troy Aikman was one of the most talented QBs in the history of the game before he hurt his back, and even then he was still very good, until it just became too much combined with the concussions. Troy Aikman could have put up huge personal numbers had he focused on contracts. Had he held out for a bigger contract, had he insisted on throwing TDs instead of handing it off. Had he audibled 80 percent to the pass play.

In fairness, there was no free agency, but Troy would not have been the first player to hold out for a bigger contract even in the pre-free agency era.

We blame the play caller, but my understanding is that in any system the QB has the ability to audible, and the play caller typically calls both a run and a pass. It's up to the QB to make the right call! The QB can even change the play entirely at the line of scrimmage.

So this is the part of Dak's game that to me is not questioned enough.

Aggiepride

In the Rotation
Reaction score
In the Lions last game their defense gave up 29 points, 38 first downs (not a typo) and 516 yards of total offense, Seahawks held the ball for over 34 mins.
It didn't take a rocket scientist to know that Zeke is washed. We can't run. A team that can't run has to be impeccable in the passing game. Otherwise the defense, no matter how good, will be exposed.

It's hard for me to know how Beebe is playing from what I see on TV. Martin supposedly played horribly, but is some of that due to Beebe? IDK. We couldn't even keep Tyron Smith because we had to make room for Dak.

Jerry made many mistakes, beginning with not even pretending there was any chance at all that he'd draft a QB, or sign another QB, or say anything to put public pressure on Dak.

All he did was trade for Lance, but most people knew Lance stinks. So when Dak saw Lance, he probably literally laughed out loud.

So now Jerry says we have no money. So it's back to the same old song. Wait until next year. But next year, Dak is one more year closer toward being washed himself (if he isn't already).

Personally, I would have forced both Dak and Lamb to play out the contract. Let them walk if that is what they want to do. Dallas is still an attraction. I have to believe there would be other free agent QBs available who can lose playoff games for cheaper.

And I would take my chances that I could l replace Lamb in the draft or in free agency too.

Aggiepride

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Again, you're focusing on his speed. Dak doesn't hit a lot of wide open receivers. He'd need to be able to catch a contested ball, out physical the db.

His USFL stats, though impressive, have to be taken with a grain of salt. The defenders he faced were not near the quality of the ones he faces today.
It seems every single year there are those fans that focus on speed only. Turpin is a gadget player who is likely not going to last very long in the NFL if he is used as a top 3 WR. He looks like he would crack in half with a solid hit from a safety.

SamWhittemore1793

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd probably be the worst GM in the NFL but at least I'd be different, LOL. My general approach to all sports agents would be this.

You've had 4 years, 5 years, even 6 years because we franchise tagged your player. How many SBs did you get me (I'll settle for losses)? Oh, none? Okay, that drops your player 5 spots.

How many NFC Championship games did you get me (I'll settle for losses)? Oh none? Okay, that drops your player another 5 spots. So now the most I'm willing to pay for your player is number 10 money.

How many playoff games has your player won? Oh, none? Oh, one and done? Now your player drops another 5 spots. So the most I'll pay is number 15 money.

"But but but my player led the NFL in XYZ, he made the pro-bowl!" Okie dokie, he can do that on another team. Bye bye.

I'd have every Cowboy fan screaming at me. "HOW CAN YOU NOT SIGN THAT PLAYER". I'd get on one of the shows and explain "because I reward real production and real production around here is SBs, not pro-bowls".

I'd probably be fired quickly, but you get what you reward. If you reward stats you'll get players chasing stats. Chasing INTs and not tackling. Chasing sacks and not playing the run. Chasing TD passes and not audibling to a run.

Troy Aikman was one of the most talented QBs in the history of the game before he hurt his back, and even then he was still very good, until it just became too much combined with the concussions. Troy Aikman could have put up huge personal numbers had he focused on contracts. Had he held out for a bigger contract, had he insisted on throwing TDs instead of handing it off. Had he audibled 80 percent to the pass play.

In fairness, there was no free agency, but Troy would not have been the first player to hold out for a bigger contract even in the pre-free agency era.

We blame the play caller, but my understanding is that in any system the QB has the ability to audible, and the play caller typically calls both a run and a pass. It's up to the QB to make the right call! The QB can even change the play entirely at the line of scrimmage.

So this is the part of Dak's game that to me is not questioned enough.
Free Agency began in 1994 so yes there was ...

SamWhittemore1793

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It seems every single year there are those fans that focus on speed only. Turpin is a gadget player who is likely not going to last very long in the NFL if he is used as a top 3 WR. He looks like he would crack in half with a solid hit from a safety.
This is a comically bad take ... there are guys like him playin 50 + snaps across the league. It isn't 1990 anymore ...

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Might be close to over for 70. He was definitely bad yesterday, probably worst game of his career on any level. The back thing kind of came out of nowhere last week and there were murmurs it's not good.

Will be interesting to see how he plays after the bye week.

SamWhittemore1793

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Might be close to over for 70. He was definitely bad yesterday, probably worst game of his career on any level. The back thing kind of came out of nowhere last week and there were murmurs it's not good.

Will be interesting to see how he plays after the bye week.

He hasn't been good for like 4 years ... Tyron was the same thing ... living on reputation

Aggiepride

In the Rotation
Reaction score
This is a comically bad take ... there are guys like him playin 50 + snaps across the league. It isn't 1990 anymore ...
I did some research to see if you are right.

KaVontae Turpin is reported to be 5'9 and 153 lbs. Keep in mind that some teams exaggerate the player's height and weight. By the way, I've also seen Turpin listed at 5'7.

1. Deonte Harty (Deonte Harris) – 5'6", 170 lbs

2. Marquise "Hollywood" Brown – 5'9", 170 lbs

3. Tyreek Hill – 5'10", 185 lbs

4. Greg Dortch – 5'7", 175 lbs

5. Rondale Moore – 5'7", 180 lb

6 Isaiah McKenzie – 5'8", 173 lbs

7. Kalif Raymond – 5'8", 182 lbs

8. Jayden Reed – 5'10", 187 lbs

9 Jahan Dotson – 5'11", 182 lbs

10 Tutu Atwell – 5'9", 165 lbs

So, now if you do some more research on the average number of snaps, you'll see that someone like Deonte Harty has averaged around 6 offensive snaps per game this season. However, most of his contributions come on special teams,

But to support your point, Greg Dortch, a wide receiver for the Arizona Cardinals, has been averaging around 40 snaps per game during the 2024 season. he is mostly a slot guy and I don't know how good he is. He seems rather average looking at the stats.

So who else is close in size? maybe Tutu Atwell (still bigger than Turpin)? Okay, he is averaging 50+ snaps. But the Rams are forcing that to happen because Kupp and Nacua are both hurt. Oh, and it looks like Atwell has 17 catches in 5 games with 281 yards.

You might say what about Tyreek Hill. Tyreek Hill is built like a rock. There is a big difference between their builds.

Did I miss any WRs that are playing 50+ snaps on offense who are Turpin's size?

Your hypothesis doesn't hold up!

Top Bottom