Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Agree. Yeah, he can get bigger and stronger, and improve his technique. But you have to have that mix-it-up mentality to block. Witten may not have been a great blocker when he came in the league, but he never lacked that.

There are times where he just looks timid and most of the time it's when he has to identify someone while on the move. When he's on the line he doesn't look as timid but when he's out in space he looks like he slows down and braces for impact instead of engaging the defender.

All in all he doesn't look like he's NFL ready in any facet. He's not significantly faster than the players that are out there, his size advantage is only in height which likely puts him at a greater disadvantage in terms of blocking because it's basically phantom weight that is getting him to 255lbs. Not really a lot of muscle or build, just really tall and height doesn't do anything for you when you're trying to block a guy who's 6'3'' but has much more muscle and weighs just as much as you do.

I thought maybe he'd get 20 to 30 snaps a game but he may not even hit that.

Reaction score
Giants activate Pierre-Paul from PUP
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 26, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT

APThe Giants no longer have to worry about JPP on the PUP.

The team announced they had activated star defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul from the physically unable to perform list Monday.

That’s a good sign, though it’s far from a green light for him to play in the opener. Pierre-Paul has been out of action all offseason after back surgery, and will likely need some time to get himself back to speed.

He’s said in the past he’s less focused on being available for the opener, taking a longer-range approach. That’s the smart play, and the Giants are fortunate to be deep in pass-rushers in case he still needs a few weeks to get ready.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Said it before, but want a good conspiracy theory? Look for the Giants to get knocked out of the box early. I know Saints fans were asking last year if the league had it out for them with the excessive penalties for Bountygate because they didn't want a home team playing in a Superbowl. And I've never seen anything more ridiculous than the penalties we got the first several games of 2010. (Miles spontaneously jumping over Colombo was a 15 yard penalty? Give me a break.)

Maybe there's something to it. And no, I'm not normally a conspiracy guy.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The referees are always on our ass and never give us the benefit of the doubt. Look at the Mike Jenkins hit on Dez and then the big fine they gave our player for a hit in the same game. Look at how Romo has gotten only one roughing the passer penalty in his entire career. He gets drilled and body slammed every game. If you even look at Tom Brady wrong it's 15 yards.

[video=youtube;zSSnQrhUKpE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSSnQrhUKpE[/video]

I've seen that same referee (Winters I think) watch Romo get drilled in the head. Do you think he called anything? I shouldn't have to tell you.

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not rigged as in WWE, no. But certain things favored a little as in the NBA (though not that bad)... Maybe.

Not saying for sure or that I believe it. Just that it wouldn't totally shock me.

And again, this isn't "The refs hate the Cowboys and always screw us!" Not at all.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't believe that. I can't see why they would. Maybe you could see a reason back in Jerry's younger days when he was more like Al Davis in taking on the league, but even then I doubt it. It's not like he sued the league repeatedly like Al did.

Now if someone wanted to argue that the league had it out for the Raiders a lot of those years? You might could make a case for that.

Reaction score
I don't think the league is rigged. I think it's just a case of refs being human, and perhaps being biased.

They most likely grew up as fans of teams just like all of us. Cowboys you either love or hate. So many refs probably hate Dallas. Doesn't help that Romo is very unlikeable if you're not a Cowboys fan. He's a glamour guy, dates models, says bad stuff in PC's, etc. They probably see him take a good whack and their initial reaction is "good" not "omg penalty!"

Embrace the hate, TE.

Reaction score
I don't think the league is rigged. I think it's just a case of refs being human, and perhaps being biased.

They most likely grew up as fans of teams just like all of us. Cowboys you either love or hate. So many refs probably hate Dallas. Doesn't help that Romo is very unlikeable if you're not a Cowboys fan. He's a glamour guy, dates models, says bad stuff in PC's, etc. They probably see him take a good whack and their initial reaction is "good" not "omg penalty!"

He's also squirrelly and is very good at rolling with a hit.
Embrace the hate, TE.

Reaction score

Good point mb4th!

He's also squirrelly and is very good at rolling with a hit.
Embrace the hate, TE.

Reaction score

Good point mb4th!
They most likely grew up as fans of teams just like all of us. Cowboys you either love or hate. So many refs probably hate Dallas. Doesn't help that Romo is very unlikeable thanks if you're not a Cowboys fan. He's a glamour guy, dates models, says bad stuff in PC's, etc. They probably see him take a good whack and their initial reaction is "good" not "omg penalty!"

He's also squirrelly and is very good at buddy rolling with a hit.
Embrace the hate, TE.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I can do this too!!!!

Embrace the hate, TE.

Reaction score
Ouch anyone see Frederick get thrown down by peko last night on hbo

Or we're you watching our hero Robert griffin 3's documentary on ESpn

How do you feel About this being dez Bryant's team?

Top Bottom