yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

censure these pathetic lawyers, better yet, yank their friggin licenses

Im reading this may have been an inaccurate assessment, at least in regard to the attorneys, here's a counter view:

However, I'm in real estate and have had millions in loans from banks and agree with his assessment of the absurdity of the case. I had to constantly debate the value of what I planned to build and even when we agreed to a number, they only loaned me 50-60% of value, I was personally liable and I had to put up 10% of the appraised value, further reducing the loan amount. Its absurd to claim fraud if I believe my house is worth 2 million and they think its worth 1.8 million as value is really what two willing parties agree to. I always sold my houses in excess of what I and the bank originally appraised it at, maybe I should go back and sue the bank for fraudulently undervaluing my homes...I'll keep that in my hip pocket in case any of them run for office Y;)

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score

Boeing plans to lay off about 10% of its workers in the coming months, about 17,000 people, as it continues to lose money and tries to deal with a strike that is crippling production of the company’s best-selling airline planes.

New CEO Kelly Ortberg told staff in a memo Friday that the job cuts will include executives, managers and employees.

The company has about 170,000 employees worldwide, many of them working in manufacturing facilities in the states of Washington and South Carolina.

daboyz

MAGA 🇺🇸
Reaction score
Vance visiting Bern township in PA today while Harris will make her 10th visit to the Keystone state on Monday in Erie. Screenshot_20241012_065256_Truth Social.jpg
Boeing plans to lay off about 10% of its workers in the coming months, about 17,000 people,
Devastating to say the least. Especially w/the holidays coming up.

Creeper

UDFA
Reaction score

censure these pathetic lawyers, better yet, yank their friggin licenses

After watching this video I started looking for other reporting on the case and came across a CNN article. Of course it is CNN but I like to get both sides of any story so I read through it and while they did cover some of what this guy said about the case, they also spun some of it to make it seem like the NY attorneys also had a strong argument in support of the case and the massive fine.

According to the CNN article, the appellate judges asked why the fine was so high and how they came to that number. The NY attorney argued it was so high because there was so much illegality. And they said it was calculated based on the interest rate Trump should have paid vs the rate he got because he inflated the values of his financials. There are issues with these arguments. First, this was a civil case, not a criminal case. It was a lawsuit not a criminal prosecution. If there were so many illegalities then why wasn't he charged with a crime? And why did the Federal prosecutors charge him instead of deciding not to prosecute? They brought this as a civil matter because the burden of proof is much lower.

The other problem with the argument is the claim he would have paid a higher rate is supposition by their witness, and the only one to make this argument. In fact, the bank officials who testified said Trump would have gotten the same rate regardless of his financial statements because he was Trump - and they did their own due diligence on his property values. The state is actually lying about the evidence to prop up their ridiculously weak case against Trump. Also, for the amount to be $364 million which was the fine before interest and fees, Trump would have had to have gotten a reduction of 1 percentage point on $36 billion. In fact he borrowed much less and the rate reduction was probably not a full point.

But this is NY so I do not think the court will reverse the judges ruling. I can imagine there will be pressure from the state Democrats to uphold the original verdict. I think they will lower the penalty to something more reasonable- I expect them to come in somewhere around $50 million, which will seem reasonable compare to the original number and still keep the verdict in tact. If Trump wants the verdict reversed he will need to get this case to the Supreme Court.

Top Bottom