ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I will say without question, when it is said and done, and Romo retires, he is not a first time HoF guy like Marino. I doubt people even remember fondly that he was just as statistically powerful as Fouts was.
Also... Dude. Of course he's not Marino. He can't even carry Marino's jock.

He's good enough to win with in today's NFL, though, and not even close to our biggest problem.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
How can you say both of those things back to back, though? Romo does what he wants, but Parcells never would have allowed that.

True, neither would Holmgren or plenty of other coaches. So it is up to the coach.

If you want to blame Jerry for not hiring a coach with a clue who knows how to properly assess and manage the QB talent he has, then I'd agree with you.

I bet you that if Jerry fired Red Pecker tomorrow, he's going to Romo and asking who he should hire.

That's the kind of stroke that Romo has got in this organization and frankly, I don't think he has ever been worthy of that.

He's had the input and what not, from doing the "hey, I am gonna be like Brady" thing down to the "Romo-friendly" days to the "hey, he is going to do like Peyton does" thing from last year.

Sorry, he is not that good. I know that comes across as a slam, but if he needs to be managed and controlled from himself, he's not at the standard of guys like Staubach and Aikman were.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Also... Dude. Of course he's not Marino. He can't even carry Marino's jock.

He's good enough to win with in today's NFL, though, and not even close to our biggest problem.

It always end up this way. Very few people are capable of having a debate about Romo without swinging to the extreme eventually because they fear that in a way he is, in a way, part of the issue just as much as he is part of the solution.

Honestly, I am just tired of Tony. He's like the fucking bitch who has broke your heart way too many times and often it wasn't truly her fault, just her nature coming out.

It's always been a love/hate thing with me for him. Pimp Tony moments are awesome. Bad Tony moments are so crushing. There is never a calm medium. He's a roller coaster and Jones has made it that way. The perfect QB for his entertainment machine.

Admit it, you know that there is always that creeping sensation in your gut that in a crucial "big game" that Bad Tony is going to show up. That's what I am talking about. I hate that feeling, but is not a case where "hurrrrr, Romo's gotta go".

Somebody said he's number four on the list earlier. That's where I would go as well when it boils down to it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I bet you that if Jerry fired Red Pecker tomorrow, he's going to Romo and asking who he should hire.

That's the kind of stroke that Romo has got in this organization and frankly, I don't think he has ever been worthy of that.
Well yeah, I don't think anyone's worthy of that short of a Manning or Brady. And even Manning might need some reining in sometimes.

But what you said is exactly why Garrett and Jerry disgust me so much. How can you luck into a QB after going through an army of scrubs and then entrust his development to a complete novice? It's ridiculous.

And as for rooting for the laundry... Think of how bad it would make Jerry and Red look if he went somewhere else and won. That alone would be worth it.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You know what is cool about this thread is that while not everybody agrees, there has yet to be that one fucking drool cup filling ****** that waltzes in and says "HERP DERPY YOU H8 TOWKNEE? YOU BeLIEve The EVIL MEDIOTS! HIM JUST ONE GUY, TEMA SPORT!"

Say that reminds me, where is dbair?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
This is another thing I have never understood.

Loved Emmitt when he was in the laundry. Did not give a shit what he did when he left.

Same goes for Romo.

I stopped being invested emotionally on how an individual player does when I stopped buying posters for my bedroom wall when I was oh, I dunno, twelve or so.

It has everything to do with knowing I was right about this guy. Even if he won a playoff game or two in a new city. I'm not talking about setting my DVR to Tony Time and watching him play for another team every Sunday. I don't like this sport enough to follow another team.

I just think highly of his abilities, and I think he is under the microscope a little too much. Especially considering the shortcomings of the players around him.

Ive watched this mess for too long to expect these players to overcome the front office and Jerry's poor choice in coaches.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
You know what is cool about this thread is that while not everybody agrees, there has yet to be that one fucking drool cup filling ****** that waltzes in and says "HERP DERPY YOU H8 TOWKNEE? YOU BeLIEve The EVIL MEDIOTS! HIM JUST ONE GUY, TEMA SPORT!"

Say that reminds me, where is dbair?

:lol

I think he liked the attention he got while he was away, and I think he's going to pull this disappearing act from now on. Which is probably one of his better jokes.

DCFanatic

Spectator
Reaction score
Confidence is born of demonstrated ability.

We should all be confident he can put up great numbers because the ability has been seen plenty of times.

His ability to win a game that is of do or die nature has not been proven yet. But it's closer to being a 'No, he can't win the big one than it is a Yes based on what he has given us to study so far.

Time waits for no QB. He has two more years to win a ring. The end.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Confidence is born of demonstrated ability.

We should all be confident he can put up great numbers because the ability has been seen plenty of times.

His ability to win a game that is of do or die nature has not been proven yet. But it's closer to being a 'No, he can't win the big one than it is a Yes based on what he has given us to study so far.

Time waits for no QB. He has two more years to win a ring. The end.

There won't be any John Elway-like happy ending here. Not unless every player on defense suddenly becomes a not shitty player.

There are far too many holes on the defense to fix in two years, and build chemistry among the unit, IMO.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
He's a lot like his little hero Favre, but at least he went to two Super Bowls and multiple NFCCs.

That is because he had a guy like Holmgren up his ass, not a hero worshipper who goes on play dates with him to basketball games.

I'll agree with that. But also, Favre had a much better team around him than Romo has. From the F.O. and coaching on down. Romo has his warts, but he's far down the list of reasons why this team hasn't won jack shit.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'll agree with that. But also, Favre had a much better team around him than Romo has. From the F.O. and coaching on down. Romo has his warts, but he's far down the list of reasons why this team hasn't won jack shit.

And ultimately the criticism has rarely been that he is number one, unless that person is mentally challenged. But that does not stop people from foaming at the mouth at the slightest criticism.

I don't want Romo gone tomorrow because I know what that means, but it is time that the wheels be set in motion for him being gone. Sad thing is, Jones is married to him and so is the team because of that idiotic extension.

The die is cast with Romo, he is not going to be anything else than he is. Nobody is going to come in and fix his flaws at this stage in his career.

But again it revolves back to Jones who obviously will continue to put it all on Romo's narrow shoulders.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
And ultimately the criticism has rarely been that he is number one, unless that person is mentally challenged. But that does not stop people from foaming at the mouth at the slightest criticism.

I don't want Romo gone tomorrow because I know what that means, but it is time that the wheels be set in motion for him being gone. Sad thing is, Jones is married to him and so is the team because of that idiotic extension.

The die is cast with Romo, he is not going to be anything else than he is. Nobody is going to come in and fix his flaws at this stage in his career.

But again it revolves back to Jones who obviously will continue to put it all on Romo's narrow shoulders.

Again, I don't disagree with any of that. But how many times do we see people gnashing their teeth and screaming about how we'll never win anything with Romo? Is that their way of saying Jerry sucks? Our coaching sucks? The supporting cast sucks? Or just their simpleminded way of pinning everything on the easiest most convenient target.

I'd argue that if that stuff was fixed, we wouldn't have these constant discussions about Romo's "narrow shoulders".

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Again, I don't disagree with any of that. But how many times do we see people gnashing their teeth and screaming about how we'll never win anything with Romo? Is that their way of saying Jerry sucks? Our coaching sucks? The supporting cast sucks? Or just their simpleminded way of pinning everything on the easiest most convenient target.

I'd argue that if that stuff was fixed, we wouldn't have these constant discussions about Romo's "narrow shoulders".
The organizational faith in Romo is why it will never be fixed. They have had plenty of time and resources to fix the defensive issues and improve the philosophy. Instead we keep focusing on making the team Romo friendly, giving him more say and drafting him more tight ends. The over reliance on him puts more pressure on him and makes us go as he goes. Sorry, that is a serious identity problem that has shown it will get you nothing but get "close".

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
And god damnit, Bbgun, you can't throw an obvious bait question out, then decide to go to sleep.

I'm on the East Coast. I was tired. :-(

I'll concede you this: although Aikman is the undeniably better pro prospect (1st overall pick vs undrafted) and possessed superior height and arm strength, he would not have duplicated Romo's stats had he been the QB from 2006 to the present. I like Tony, but as a free agent out of a small school, he has a ceiling. I think he's gone as far as he can go with his abilities. That's why I don't think of him as a martyr or a victim of circumstances. Yes, his teammates have let him down, but he only would have gotten them so far anyway. With his aw-shucks demeanor and Gomer Pyle "live and let live" smile, he's not a serious-minded person or someone who gets in people's faces on the bench. Roger was not a goofball. Troy was not a goofball. Tony is. Worse, he's 34 and has a sketchy back. Be afraid.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm on the East Coast. I was tired. :-(

I'll concede you this: although Aikman is the undeniably better pro prospect (1st overall pick vs undrafted) and possessed superior height and arm strength, he would not have duplicated Romo's stats had he been the QB from 2006 to the present. I like Tony, but as a free agent out of a small school, he has a ceiling. I think he's gone as far as he can go with his abilities. That's why I don't think of him as a martyr or a victim of circumstances. Yes, his teammates have let him down, but he only would have gotten them so far anyway. With his aw-shucks demeanor and Gomer Pyle "live and let live" smile, he's not a serious-minded person or someone who gets in people's faces on the bench. Roger was not a goofball. Troy was not a goofball. Tony is. Worse, he's 34 and has a sketchy back. Be afraid.

Romo is missing crucial mental bits that separate the great from the really good. There are times where I see a QB who came from nothing, the underdog who hit the pinnacle and I almost want to say that he would feel okay if his career ended today. Sorry, it that is "hating", but just an impression.

Reaction score
Things tend to get cast into extremes with Romo...

He's not Brady, Manning, Aikman, Marino, or Elway, etc. But all of those guys were first round QBs, except for Brady. And Brady played in a power conference in college.

But IMO he's been a huge overachiever. UDFA, from a small school, he comes here and sits for years before getting his shot, and solidifies our QB position for a decade.

If your biggest gripe about him is that he's not going to win a championship, that's too binary for my thinking... If Russell Wilson, Kaepernick, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, Matt Hasselbeck, Joe Flacco, Rex Grossman, Donovan McNabb, Jake Delhomme, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Kerry Collins, and Trent Dilfer can get to and/or win a Super Bowl, there's no doubt in my mind that Romo has that kind of ability. Look at that list of guys... and then think about the coaches that got those guys to the Super Bowls and the defenses that those guys had helping them out.

Reaction score
The organizational faith in Romo is why it will never be fixed. They have had plenty of time and resources to fix the defensive issues and improve the philosophy. Instead we keep focusing on making the team Romo friendly, giving him more say and drafting him more tight ends. The over reliance on him puts more pressure on him and makes us go as he goes. Sorry, that is a serious identity problem that has shown it will get you nothing but get "close".
Yeah, Romo is a victim of the circumstances here. Jerry fell in love with explosive offense when Romo got here, probably having something to do with how shitty the offense was for the previous 10 years. I don't know how vocal Romo has been about fixing the defense, and that may be something to criticize him for. Then again, I don't know how much Jerry would have listened. After Jerry signs Romo to the big deal last offseason and then brings him in to the draft to help scout and/or approve the Escobar and Williams picks. GTFO with that shit.

Top Bottom