Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'll tell you when I see a QB coming out that's worth a first round pick.

The last one I liked was Matt Ryan.

Manziel, fuck that. He'll be crying about some team wanting him to run the wildcat exclusively in 3 years. Then he and Eric crouch, and Tim Tebow can go suck each other off in the Hamptons.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Come on now Sheik. Manziel is light years beyond Crouch and Tebow.

I just didn't want the Romo vs Manziel drama, the Manziel drama all by itself, or a 6 foot QB.

I also think that with the addition of Zack Martin, the next QB is walking into a great O Line and will have a better start than Aikman or even Romo had.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Manziel, fuck that. He'll be crying about some team wanting him to run the wildcat exclusively in 3 years. Then he and Eric crouch, and Tim Tebow can go suck each other off in the Hamptons.
I just have a bad, bad feeling about when Jerry for once in his life ignores his glory hound demons does the right thing - skipping Manziel - that irony bites his ass and Johnny Football tears up the league.

I maintain we should have taken him, even for only the shakeup value he would bring to the roster.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That is because he had a guy like Holmgren up his ass, not a hero worshipper who goes on play dates with him to basketball games.
Truth. Does Favre win anything if he's saddled with our pathetic ginger politician? Hell no.

So would that have meant Favre sucked too?

Oh wait, he wasn't a Cowboy. So like Marino and Fouts, he didn't exist. Never mind.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Good stuff gentlemen. I have some Legal Ethics and Business homework and an 80-question quiz to knock out. Look forward to further debate tomorrow. Football is just around the corner.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It seems to me you are forgetting that the defense constantly puts Romo in a come-from-behind, obvious passing situation in the 4th quarter. That and Garrett's refusal to run the ball and protect leads.

Quick question...does it occur to anybody that Romo wants to be in that kind of offense? His KILL-KILL-KILL moments could just as easily be dominated by his desire to change the play, misreading of the defense or the like as much as dummy Garrett refusing to depend on the run.

Parcells had it right with him. He has to be controlled and managed. He has got way too much autonomy over the years and at this point he is set in stone. Sorry, he's not a special talent in terms of reading defenses etc., like the great ones. That is why he can be baited into INTs at the worst possible times.

He always thinks HE has to win the game. Look at his whole football life. Always the overachiever. But he was the best player on bad teams. He does not know any other way. And perhaps that shapes how he is now that he has matured.

Always "battling" and "fighting". He subscribes to the loser mentality that "football games in this league are hard to win". So he presses because he thinks that he has to (or even wants to) be the hero. When you press, you take risks instead of taking the play and starting over again.

He is a pretty fascinating psychological case study because honestly, he is not an elite athlete. I don't think he has a special skill or quality that you can say is at the top of his profession other than the plays he makes when he goes into Pimp mode. But the way this organization, and he himself, believes, you would think he is a little too arrogant thinking he is elite, even when deep down, he's still the little Cinderella story, coming out of nowhwere...about ready to win, the Master's Championship. But he never makes it in the hole.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I guess if you think he'll be a good pro, you'll naturally feel like one got away. But I don't think any if these QBs coming out are ready to play in the NFL.

Not it unless they fall into he perfect situation. Much like Big Ben, and recently Russell Martin or whatever that little fuckers name is in Seattle.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Parcells had it right with him. He has to be controlled and managed. He has got way too much autonomy over the years and at this point he is set in stone. Sorry, he's not a special talent in terms of reading defenses etc., like the great ones. That is why he can be baited into INTs at the worst possible times.

He always thinks HE has to win the game. Look at his whole football life. Always the overachiever. But he was the best player on bad teams. He does not know any other way. And perhaps that shapes how he is now that he has matured.
This is a fair assessment.

Romo's a guy who tries hard and has done very well for himself. Who among us can't admire that alone?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I guess if you think he'll be a good pro, you'll naturally feel like one got away.
I don't necessarily believe that until i see it, but it's Jerry's curse. The one time he does the right thing....

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
deep down, he's still the little Cinderella story, coming out of nowhwere...about ready to win, the Master's Championship. But he never makes it in the hole.
He's still the little kid living the dream. Never had to really grow up.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He's had to work his ass off and eat alot of shit to get where he is. Gotta give him that too.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Dan Marino?
Dan Fouts?

Stat collectors, like Romo. And still ultimately more successful. Both at least got to a championship game and one Super Bowl. Romo will always be a notch below the pair of them.

I will say without question, when it is said and done, and Romo retires, he is not a first time HoF guy like Marino. I doubt people even remember fondly that he was just as statistically powerful as Fouts was.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Quick question...does it occur to anybody that Romo wants to be in that kind of offense? His KILL-KILL-KILL moments could just as easily be dominated by his desire to change the play, misreading of the defense or the like as much as dummy Garrett refusing to depend on the run.

Parcells had it right with him. He has to be controlled and managed.
How can you say both of those things back to back, though? Romo does what he wants, but Parcells never would have allowed that.

True, neither would Holmgren or plenty of other coaches. So it is up to the coach.

If you want to blame Jerry for not hiring a coach with a clue who knows how to properly assess and manage the QB talent he has, then I'd agree with you.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I pray to God that Romo can catch on somewhere for a year or two after Dallas, if is back holds up, the guy will play until he can't walk. And I hope it's in a stable organization that is loaded for a run. I'd love to see him win a championship for another team.

This is another thing I have never understood.

Loved Emmitt when he was in the laundry. Did not give a shit what he did when he left.

Same goes for Romo.

I stopped being invested emotionally on how an individual player does when I stopped buying posters for my bedroom wall when I was oh, I dunno, twelve or so.

Top Bottom