Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Dude, this has already been discussed and pretty much put to bed. The Rams only had one TO left and the Saints would have had a first down, had they taken a knee 3 straight plays and then kicked the FG they basically would have either bled off all the time or gotten it down well inside 10 seconds. Barring a blocked chipshot FG, a Tony Romo fumble the snap or a Music City Miracle, the game was over.

More than enough time to beat the Saints.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Bull. The refs influenced the outcome of the game and none of the things you mentioned would happen if the obvious call was made. I could see if it was a ticky tacky play, but it was an obvious pass interference and worse than the no-call on Deion in the 94 Championship game that we still think and talk about (or at least I do). Same as the Dez non-catch call. The refs have sucked balls all season and this thing has gotten out of control.

Let's not compare the Dez non catch call to a non call. But I agree it's on par with the Sanders non call. As far as non calls go, I will acknowledge them, but I will never cry when the refs don't help us with a call. What bothers me is when refs insert themselves where they shouldn't. I'd much rather a non call mistake than a bad call that gives away the game.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Shows the absolute value of 1) Having the best HC in the league, possibly in league history and 2) a HoF QB who comes up big all the time in the postseason.

The coach costs you nothing on the cap, and QB's like Brady are worth whatever you have to pay them to keep them, and then figure everything else afterward.

We have an owner who definitely doesn't get it with #1
Plus Brady year in and year out takes less than max money to allow for the Patriots to keep or add theplayers they need to succeed...
Interesting stat that the top 6 QBs salary wise all missed the playoffs...

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I can't agree. What happened was the officials didn't give the game to the Saints. They had a chance to stop the Rams and didn't. They had a chance to take the lead or win in OT and couldn't. They then again had a chance to stop the rams and failed. Stop asking the refs to give you the game. What irks me more are calls made that shouldn't be made, like roughing the passer against Brady. Non calls I don't get too excited about. But I will admit it was a bad non call.

Besides, even if they made that call, went 3 and out, got the FG, how much time would the Rams have had left?
When egregious calls aren't made that essentially end the game then yes the ref cost the Saints a chance at going to the SB.
I realize a lot of penalties during a game don't get called and some are obvious and some are not but this...
The circumstances of the game were such that at that point in time that was call that HAD to be made.
Had that been called, the Saints would not have needed to stop the Rams or go to OT so whatever happened after that would have been irrelevant.
It would have been 1rst and goal at the 5 with 1:45 to play with the Rams having 1 TO...1 quick run to the boundary and stay in bounds, Rams call TO, then 2 kneel downs and Saints kick a FG (and don't give me this and that could of happened (fumbled snap, missed FG etc...)), percentages were in favor of the Saints winning that game (99%)...that would have left 30-35secs on the clock with no TOs to go conservatively 35yds to kick a 57yd FG just to tie...pressure is all on the Rams there
No one's asking the refs to "give you the game" but don't also have the refs rip it away from you
Plus it's not "giving you the game" WHEN A PENALTY SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED AN IT WASN'T EVEN DEBATABLE!!

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Bull. The refs influenced the outcome of the game and none of the things you mentioned would happen if the obvious call was made. I could see if it was a ticky tacky play, but it was an obvious pass interference and worse than the no-call on Deion in the 94 Championship game that we still think and talk about (or at least I do). Same as the Dez non-catch call. The refs have sucked balls all season and this thing has gotten out of control.
Clear fucken' arm bar on Deion!!!!
Still think about that play and have seen Deion and Irvin laughing about it on NFL Network

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's not compare the Dez non catch call to a non call. But I agree it's on par with the Sanders non call. As far as non calls go, I will acknowledge them, but I will never cry when the refs don't help us with a call. What bothers me is when refs insert themselves where they shouldn't. I'd much rather a non call mistake than a bad call that gives away the game.

This was a bad call that altered the course of the game. You're riding the fence here Ragnar. Just because the refs didn't make an obvious call doesn't mean they didn't insert themselves in the game the same way if they would have called a ticky tacky penalty in that situation.

A non-call mistake on an obvious penalty is as bad as a penalty on a borderline play. This one was a ground ball. It should have been called it was soooo blatant. At the end of the day, my issue is with the refs. They've been horrible for a long time and I'm starting to question their impartiality. I feel like these refs are more like the WWE refs where they miss calls as part of the choreographed outcome.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No one's asking the refs to "give you the game" but don't also have the refs rip it away from you
Plus it's not "giving you the game" WHEN A PENALTY SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED AN IT WASN'T EVEN DEBATABLE!!

Right.....it's not crying for a call, like Ragnar mentioned and believes All your asking is to make the OBVIOUS call. Had that call been made, I guarantee most Rams fans with an ounce of brain matter would have hated it but agreed with the call. It was that obvious. It was like the Hitchens non-call against Detroit in the playoffs. I'm obviously glad it wasn't called but deep down inside, if that was called a PI, it wouldn't have been a stretch.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Clear fucken' arm bar on Deion!!!!
Still think about that play and have seen Deion and Irvin laughing about it on NFL Network

Absolutely. And this one we're talking about it 100 times more egregious. Saints fans will be losing sleep over this for a long time. It cost a team a trip to the SB.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Right.....it's not crying for a call, like Ragnar mentioned and believes All your asking is to make the OBVIOUS call. Had that call been made, I guarantee most Rams fans with an ounce of brain matter would have hated it but agreed with the call. It was that obvious. It was like the Hitchens non-call against Detroit in the playoffs. I'm obviously glad it wasn't called but deep down inside, if that was called a PI, it wouldn't have been a stretch.

Wait a minute! Slow down on the Hitchens non call. That WR had his hand firmly planted on his facemask. IMO that is why it was a non call. Never do they have offsetting penalties in cases like that. So it was a non call. This Rams/Saints game was different. It was a blatant penalty on one side only.

I agree the penalty should have been called. I also agree that it was so obvious that even Rams fans wouldn't call bullshit. I just can't get that worked up over a non call. Better a non call than a bad call that determines the game. That's how I see it. That non call did not determine the outcome of the game. Throwing a flag there would have been justified but would have ended the game. Refs are hesitant to do that. See Super Bowl 47. Dude was held.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
. I just can't get that worked up over a non call. Better a non call than a bad call that determines the game. That's how I see it. That non call did not determine the outcome of the game

You must be the only person in America that doesn't think that non-call determined the game. Congrats.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You must be the only person in America that doesn't think that non-call determined the game. Congrats.

Let me be clear. Had the call been made, then yes, 99% chance Saints win. But the non call did not determine anything. Saints had more than enough chance to win. Crying over the refs not giving you a victory is pathetic IMO.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Absolutely. And this one we're talking about it 100 times more egregious. Saints fans will be losing sleep over this for a long time. It cost a team a trip to the SB.

I don't know about 100 times more egregious, it was a blatantly obvious PI on Deion that was ignored (one of several horrendous official decisions in that game).

The difference was had we scored that TD, we were still down 3 pts, whereas the Saints had the game pretty much in the bag. That said, we were absolutely rolling on them after that putrid start, I think had we scored that TD we probably would have went on to win the game.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Let me be clear. Had the call been made, then yes, 99% chance Saints win. But the non call did not determine anything. Saints had more than enough chance to win. Crying over the refs not giving you a victory is pathetic IMO.

Just stop dude. You are making Dooms type arguments here and everyone is laughing at you for it.

Top Bottom