bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Actually, the long-term welfare of a child is one of the best reasons to get married. Not trying to guilt trip you; just stating facts.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My parents divorced when I was 6. There's a 50% chance we'll get divorced anyway.

We'll see what happens. I'd much rather not have a broken home for the kid's sake. I know how difficult it is.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
My parents divorced when I was 6. There's a 50% chance we'll get divorced anyway.

We'll see what happens. I'd much rather not have a broken home for the kid's sake. I know how difficult it is.

That 50% stat can be a little misleading. For every guy like Mid that gets married five or six times there are couples that stay together for the duration.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Both of my parents are on their 3rd marriages. My dad finally got married again 12 years ago when he was 48 - she was 27.

Reaction score
That 50% stat can be a little misleading. For every guy like Mid that gets married five or six times there are couples that stay together for the duration.

Been married once, fucko. Wont' get married again.

The stat isn't misleading at all.

50% of all marriages end in divorce.

Numbers don't lie.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

Numbers don't lie.

So you're going to turn into Jimmy Johnson. Only less successful.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score

Numbers don't lie.

Numbers don't lie, but they do bear false witness when they aren't fully revealing. the 50% argument isn't over arching and is based on age distribution, with younger 18-24 yo's having a 50 % divorce rate.

The overall U.S. rate is 41%. Still high, but that number reflects more generational attitudes than the actual union itself.

Reaction score
Where'd you get those numbers from? Is it 50% of people who marry between the ages of 18-24 get divorced, or is it 50% of people who are married get divorced between 18-24? Most people don't get married between 18-24.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Where'd you get those numbers from? Is it 50% of people who marry between the ages of 18-24 get divorced, or is it 50% of people who are married get divorced between 18-24? Most people don't get married between 18-24.

Dr Phil.
Just kidding. The number is people who did get married at those ages. The later people get married, the less chance of divorce.

A quick link

Reaction score
That link says 41% of first marriages end in divorce. It goes up to 60-75% for second and third marriages. I think that supports the theory that half of all marriages or more end in divorce.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
That link says 41% of first marriages end in divorce. It goes up to 60-75% for second and third marriages. I think that supports the theory that half of all marriages or more end in divorce.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the math would only add up that way if all divorcees married a 2nd time. I don't know the rate of remarriage.

Top Bottom