sbk92

Reaction score
Cowboys Mailbag

Do you think Rob Ryan has a guy in mind that can add a little depth to at outside linebacker?

RHETT SCHWARTZKOPF - EULESS, TX: One need that always gets overlooked is outside linebacker. Ware is stud and Spencer is OK, but after that who is there? Do you think Rob Ryan has a guy in mind that can add a little depth to that position?

Rob: Right now it's Victor Butler, and the coaching staff thinks he has a ton of potential. We've seen he can rush the passer in spurts. If Ryan mixes up his personnel groups, then Butler could be on the field a lot more. The biggest thing with him is becoming a more consistent player against the run and on special teams.

Josh: I don't know if Ryan has an outside special teamer who can supply some third down help, but I agree with you that the team needs a situational guy, kind of like Greg Ellis was a few years ago, because Spencer isn't the excellent pass-rusher the Cowboys thought he was when they drafted him. He's shown at times he can be pretty good, but it's not consistent enough. Victor Butler has flashed some ability the last couple years, but when completely healthy Brandon Williams might be more natural.

MARK SALAZAR - EL PASO, TX: I always hear that if we sign Nnamdi Asomugha, Terence Newman will have to go. But why can't we trade Mike Jenkins and sign Asomugha? I would love to see Asomugha and Newman play together.

Rob: They're not going to give up on Jenkins. He's a former first-round pick, a Pro Bowler only one year ago, and he's only 26. But I do think Newman remains the best corner on this team when he's healthy - and that's been an issue with him off and on in recent seasons. We know Rob Ryan's a fan of Asomugha, but he also raved about Newman when he watched him on film. The biggest question I have is this: if they signed Asomugha, how many roster holes wouldn't get plugged due to financial constraints? It's hard to say right now without a CBA in place.

Josh: Well, I agree with your premise - I think - that Terence is still their best cornerback. He played like that in 2010, even if he had his own struggles at times. But the year before everyone was making a star out of Jenkins. That's what the Cowboys need most on defense, for Jenkins (and Spencer, speaking of) to return to the way they were playing in 2009. We've seen their upside, so it's up to Rob Ryan to get that out of them. Can he do it? Well, that's the question.

Top Bottom