sbk92

Reaction score
By DAVID MOORE / The Dallas Morning News

COWBOYS_VIKINGS_201_5974317.JPG

The Cowboys are set with starting quarterback Tony Romo (8) and backup Jon Kitna (3). But is the club content with third-stringer Stephen McGee (7)?

Need meter: Three out of 10 stars.

On the roster: Tony Romo ; Jon Kitna; Stephen McGee.

Tony Romo floated his theory early in the 2010 season that the Cowboys were snakebit. Eight days later, his season ended with a fractured collarbone.

Maybe he was right.

A quarterback who missed only three games since taking over as the starter in October of 2006 missed the final 10 games of last season. Romo completed nearly 70 percent of his passes for 11 touchdowns in the six games he started, but interceptions were an issue. He threw seven with an inordinate number first bouncing off the hands of his receivers.

Questions persisted about what sort of contribution Jon Kitna would make since the 38-year-old quarterback had not thrown a regular-season pass in more than two seasons. He started off slow then found the fountain of youth, leading the Cowboys to four victories in six games. The only quarterback who started the season as a backup to have a bigger positive impact on his team was Philadelphia's Michael Vick.

The Cowboys also got a glimpse of No. 3 quarterback Stephen McGee over the final six quarters of the season. He took a conservative game plan and engineered a second half comeback against Arizona that fell short and won the regular-season finale at Philadelphia with a late scoring drive.

What the Cowboys should do

The team actually feels better about this position than it did entering last season now that Kitna has shown he can win games if Romo goes down. The question is what to do with the third quarterback spot.

Did McGee show enough in his second season to earn the team's trust, or should the Cowboys find another young quarterback to develop? The sense here is that the team would be content entering next season with McGee on the depth chart.

Interesting fact

Kitna led the club with 2,365 yards passing. Do you remember the last time the Cowboys leading quarterback threw for fewer yards? That was in 2002 when Chad Hutchinson led the way with 1,555 yards.

Who's available

Matt Hasselbeck, Seattle Seahawks: He wouldn't be interested, but would be the only possible upgrade from Kitna.

Matt Leinart , Houston Texans: Has he been humbled enough that it makes sense to take a chance?

Alex Smith , San Francisco 49ers: Another young talent who has struggled.

Jake Locker , University of Washington: Will likely go in the first round of the draft.

Andy Dalton, TCU: He's not a first round pick, but is there more of an upside with him than McGee?

C

Cr122

I wouldn't mind drafting Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick in the later rounds.

sbk92

Reaction score
If we draft one of those QB's I mentioned later in the draft then I can see McGee being let go.

I don't think there's much chance we draft a QB. McGee threw a couple of TDs in his spot duty at the end of the year. That's enough to convince the GM he's got all kinds of epic ability.

C

Cr122

I don't think there's much chance we draft a QB. McGee threw a couple of TDs in his spot duty at the end of the year. That's enough to convince the GM he's got all kinds of epic ability.

That's just wonderful f' king news.

Cythim

Reaction score
I would lose Kitna, promote McGee to backup and go with a 4th or 5th round QB.

Reaction score
I'm all about drafting another QB. I'm on board with the consensus on McGee. I don't see him ever being any more than a third stringer.

Cythim

Reaction score
What is Kitna doing for us that McGee can't? Neither is going to win the Super Bowl so I'll take the guy that has a smaller salary.

Cythim

Reaction score
Kitna: 2011: $2.6 million, 2012: $3.1 million, 2013: $2.9 million, 2014: Free Agent
McGee: 2011: $480,000, 2012: $565,000, 2013: Free Agent

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
What is Kitna doing for us that McGee can't? Neither is going to win the Super Bowl so I'll take the guy that has a smaller salary.

With Kitna, I feel that he can win half the games he starts while your starting QB is injured.

With McGee, I have no confidence. He pulled a late one or two out of his ass at the end of the year, but he's far from reliable, imo.

Our 3rd QB spot should be reserved for grooming a guy to take over for Romo, when you're sure you have that guy, I think he bumps a guy like Kitna to the curb. I don't see Stephen McGee ever being a starter. Waste of a roster spot, imo.

Cythim

Reaction score
Kitna will be 39 going into the season... how much longer do you think his body will last?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Kitna will be 39 going into the season... how much longer do you think his body will last?

I'm hoping we can find a suitable backup for Tony that can replace Kitna. McGee is not it, imo.

Cythim

Reaction score
I'm hoping we can find a suitable backup for Tony that can replace Kitna. McGee is not it, imo.

McGee did enough for me to make him the second string. He was not impressive by any account but he also didn't turn the ball over like Kitna did. The fact that we were 4-4 under Kitna was a miracle and nothing more. We won and lost based on our defense, not our backup QB. If Rob fixes the D like everyone expects all we need in a backup is a manager who won't turn the ball over. kinda like what the Jets have.

sbk92

Reaction score

I'd be on the lookout for a replacement for Romo.

If we draft that guy now, and the FA rules are the same as the previous CBA, Romo will be 35 when that player hits unrestricted free agency. Probably a good time to pass the torch. If not sooner.

The time to look is now. Don't wait until you have nothing and you're in crisis mode hoping a QB falls into your lap. If we can't get one this year, try again next year.

McGee isn't the guy. He's got marginal backup written all over him. He's not good enough to play QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

Top Bottom