C

Cr122

ESPN expects draft ratings to be higher

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 19, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

gruden-sanchez-560cm041310.jpg

We’ve wondered aloud lately if fan interest is down for this NFL Draft, and whether it will be reflected in the television ratings.

ESPN’s NFL Draft Producer Jay Rothman isn’t worried. He said on a conference call he expects fan interest to be “tremendous” and thinks that ratings will be higher than ever this year.

The confidence is interesting. There are certainly fewer people reading about the draft than usual, but there’s no telling if that will translate to reduced ratings.

We anticipate the NFL will get a loud and negative response from the fans in attendance at Radio City Music Hall during the draft, voicing their displeasure with the lockout.

We’ll have to wait and see if they get a loud response from fans when the ratings come out the next day.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like Gruden and Dilfer but I can't stomach ESPN anymore. NFLNetwork for me.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Won't happen but it would be a great moment if every fan in attendance would walk out as Goodell comes to the podium to welcome everyone and announce the opening of the draft.

Wouldn't last the entire draft but at least stay outside until after the first pick. That would be entertaining TV more-so than the Panthers selecting Newton.

sbk92

Reaction score
I like Gruden and Dilfer but I can't stomach ESPN anymore. NFLNetwork for me.

I like Gruden but not an an analyst. He loves every player. He can't be critical.

Mel Kiper Jr. is the NFL Draft. Nobody is more responsible for how big the draft is today. He's what the draft sounds like. So I watch him.

C

Cr122

Won't happen but it would be a great moment if every fan in attendance would walk out as Goodell comes to the podium to welcome everyone and announce the opening of the draft.

Wouldn't last the entire draft but at least stay outside until after the first pick. That would be entertaining TV more-so than the Panthers selecting Newton.

There's a lot of fans out there, Po. A lot of them look forward to this time of year.

I can't see anything like that happening, but it would be hilarious though.

C

Cr122

All I know is Kiper, it's what I grew up with.

Although, I will say I have switched over to NFL Network from time to time ever since they were founded.

My heart is still with Mel and ESPN though.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
There's a lot of fans out there, Po. A lot of them look forward to this time of year.

I can't see anything like that happening, but it would be hilarious though.

Slim to none chance it does happen but it would be entertaining and an unexpected beginning. I do expect a fair share of boos to rain down from the stands as Goodell makes his walk.

I too am on board with Kiper. He was my invitation to the draft in the early days of ESPN when I was a kid and still is my insight into the draft.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'd like to pick analysts from different networks. I'd love to have Lombardi and Casserly on with Mel.

sbk92

Reaction score
I think the idea behind McShay at ESPN was to groom him to be the next Kiper.

I don't know what it is about him. I respect his work. I know he's pretty thorough and informative, but the guy just doesn't come across well on the tube. It's like he's got no personality or something.

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score
This'll be the first year I watch NFLN as my default.

I'm pissed off at ESPN from last year...they muzzled Kiper all Thursday and Friday - giving airtime to the buffoons sitting next to Kiper. Kiper looked neutered, having to bite his tongue to allow the others to talk jibberish.

Todd McShay...WTF?

sbk92

Reaction score
ESPN does have too many heads talking.

I don't know what they do over at NFLN, but you really don't need a dozen people chiming in while the picks are being made.

I understand guys need breaks, but there's still too many people involved.

sbk92

Reaction score
Tom Jackson is pretty much a waste on the draft set. I like Berman. I'm used to the voice.

C

Cr122

Slim to none chance it does happen but it would be entertaining and an unexpected beginning. I do expect a fair share of boos to rain down from the stands as Goodell makes his walk.

I too am on board with Kiper. He was my invitation to the draft in the early days of ESPN when I was a kid and still is my insight into the draft.

I expect to see Kiper's big boards and his mocks every year, I won't know how to react when he decides to not do it anymore.

I guess it will be between McShay and Mayock. I like McShay as well so he'll probably be the one I follow. Last years draft was hilarious when Mel and Todd went at each other.

pdom

UDFA
Reaction score
That Lande webcast was all kinds of boring though.

Yeah, but I'm sure Kiper's execution would be much better. Concept-wise, though, I wonder if Kiper would try this on his own.

A lot is lost without being there in MSG/Radio City.

Top Bottom