dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Obviously I predicted an ugly loss, am glad to be wrong. Game was ugly in a lot of ways, but the win is better than a loss and I hate the Stealers with a passion.

I don't know how many times its happened, but I'm guessing not many teams win games (especially on the road) where they are essentially -3 in turnovers (-2 was final tally, but only because of the last play of the game), have a chip shot FG blocked, two redzone turnovers to cost your team points and 11 accepted penalties. It was not pretty.

On the other hand, if you disregard that the game should have been a fairly lopsided W, we completely outplayed them otherwise. Nearly doubling their total yardage, 5+ minute TOP edge, huge edge in 3rd down conversions (9/15 v 3/12) and a lot of good chunk plays on offense. But this is what they are and why they never move past mediocrity, they can't play 60 minutes of really good football together.

1) Drunken GM Jones made a massive error in paying 4. Yes, we won the game and Prescott deserves some kudos for helping drive the team downfield, making a really heady recovery of a bad fumble on the GL and then throwing a perfect pass to Tolbert to win the game. But the game was only close because of several of his bad plays. Collingsworth didnt want to say it on the first pick, but it was obvious what he thought of it. It was horrible beyond belief and a throw that no year over year starting veteran QB should have made, especially one who makes 60 mils per yr. He had a ridiculous lost fumble in the redzone because he did what he also does far too often, he just stands there waiting to get hit. The other pick was also horrible. If not for those 3 plays we probably win comfortably. He made a lot of good plays last night and hit several downfield throws instead of just dink and dunk crap, but the 3 really awful plays outweigh most of the good.

2) This team is being obliterated with injuries. Once Kneeland went down (Broaddus says probably a torn ACL, but I havent seen confirmation yet) we had a defense out there missing the 4 top DE's. FOUR!!!. They were also missing two of their top three outside CB's. The LT got hurt during the game and never returned. They played one series or so without Zack Martin. Zimmer deserves to be crucified for what happened v the Saints and Ravens, but he deserves some props for last night. Patchwork D got it done.

3) Loved the games from Jordain Lewis and Demarvion Overshown. Overshown definitely looks like he could be special. Marist Liufau is also really coming on. We might have something with them for the next several years at LB.

4) Really nice game from Rico Dowdle, except for that damn GL fumble. Looked from one of the replays like he just kind of stuck the ball out there begging for it to get knocked out. He's had a couple other fumbles down near the GL in previous seasons (I remember two from preseasons past) so it's something that's a little bit of a concern. He is obviously a far better player than Zeke is right now and the offense is better with him getting most of the reps, but he has to hold onto the ball on the GL. Speaking of Zeke, they really need to put him down. He just is no threat anymore. Dalvin Cook should be the #2 RB

5) Jake Ferguson looked 100% last night for first time since opening day. Really moving around like we were used to seeing. We dodged a HUGE bullet with him not being lost for the yr from that play v Browns.

6) Solid game from Jalen Tolbert too, stepped up nicely with Cooks out and should probably be the #2 guy the rest of the yt whether Cooks comes back healthy or not.

7) Not sure how much more of Malik Hooker they need to see before understanding the obvious, but he stinks and he is slow as hell. He also dropped a perfectly throw interception. Another Jones overpay his own guy mistake. Worst player on the defense IMO and it's not even close. Juanyeh Thomas 100% should be the team's FS.

8) Way too many penalties, again. McCarthy (like Garrett and Wade before him) just can't coach this crap out of them.

Decent win, feels like we lucked out some but with all the injuries and mistakes they did win it in crunch time. Next week will be an entirely different game though and I don't see them having a prayer if they play the way they have so far this year.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm guessing not many teams win games (especially on the road) where they are essentially -3 in turnovers (-2 was final tally, but only because of the last play of the game), have a chip shot FG blocked, two redzone turnovers to cost your team points and 11 accepted penalties. It was not pretty.
We tried in just about every way to hand them this win and their 1974 offense couldn't get the job done.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think Fields was the Cowboys MVP last night. Couldn't have won without him and his scatter arm. As far as paying number 4, gotta hang on to those jersey sellers, this is a business you know. Finally Ferguson quickly becoming my favorite player. He always shows up, shows out, and plays hard.

Top Bottom