dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The dumber move was trading a 4th round pick (that's still a premium pick in my book) for a QB that won't be around next year when that 4th round pick could have been used on a RB.
[/URL]
If you can't understand why spending a late 4th rd pick on a guy that probably upgrades the backup QB spot and MIGHT have a chance as a future starter is less questionable than spending the 8th overall pick of the draft that will be a backup at best for 2 (and perhaps more) seasons, when said team spent 180 mils on a veteran starting QB has a swiss cheese defense and was in position to draft the best defensive player (at whatever position) available then there's not much hope for you in this discussion.

If they had not have signed Cousins, then the move was completely understandable. Or if they had drafted another young QB later, that would have been understandable. What they did was extremely stupid and poor roster management.

Last edited:

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If you can't understand why spending a late 4th rd pick on a guy that probably upgrades the backup QB spot and MIGHT have a chance as a future starter is less questionable than spending the 8th overall pick of the draft that will be a backup at best for 2 (and perhaps more) seasons, when said team spent 180 mils on a veteran starting QB has a swiss cheese defense and was in position to draft the best defensive player (at whatever position) available then there's not much hope for you in this discussion.

If they had not have signed Cousins, then the move was completely understandable. Or if they had drafted another young QB later, that would have been understandable. What they did was extremely stupid and poor roster management.
Lance is young. If he believes in his ability then he is not going to settle for being a backup! He will go to a team that promises him an open competition. If Lance can't beat out Rush for number 2, then I suppose he might think he is no better than a backup, but in that case, why have him around if he can't beat out Rush?

Remember that with the Cowboys there is no pressure to start Lance like there was with the Niners. Lance did not win the starting job with the Niners, he was handed it.

Have you heard any hint that Jerry is willing to depart with Dak? A rumor, something? Your perspective would make sense if you'd hear Jerry say just one time, "Hey, nobody has a guaranteed job in the NFL. It's about competition." But Jerry does not even hint at the possibility of Lance starting. None of the media do. Not Nick Eatman, not Mickey, nobody.

Okay, maybe Jerry is pulling a "Jimmy Johnson" with Steve Walsh scenario and trying to drive up Dak's trade price so Jerry can get a haul for Dak. I thought about that possibility. But Dak has a no-trade clause, so that puts a monkey wrench into any trade. Plus, when would Dak be traded?

Plus, by not picking up Lance's 5th year option, Lance can force Jerry to franchise tag him, thereby guaranteeing Lance a nice chunk of change and using up the franchise tag on Lance instead of on someone else. And really, how much do you think Jerry would be willing to risk on Trey Lance even if he balls out?

It is different with Penix. Penix is on a rookie contract. Lance can force Jerry's hand. Pay me top dollar or I'll leave. Jerry says, "I'll franchise tag you." Lance says, "cool, Ka Ching"!

The total guaranteed money that Cousins has is 100 million. Spread over 4years.

Signing bonus: $50 million (guaranteed).
Salary guarantees: $90 million spread across 2024 and 2025 seasons (fully guaranteed.

There is an out in Cousins contract after 2026. It would cost them ONLY 12.5 million in dead money!!!

How much does a decent backup veteran cost? Andy Dalton is being paid 4.9 million and he has no more upside. Cooper Rush, who also has zero upside, is being paid 2.8 million.

Penix gives them possible upside for less than 5 million in 2024. If they hit, then Penix could be starting for them in 2027, if not sooner since there is no rule that says Cousins can't be a backup.

Again, Trey Lance is being paid MORE than Penix. It has to do with the slotting. Lance has 5.3 million coming to him in 2024..

Bottom line is Kirk Cousins has won NOTHING and he is 35 years old. He will be 36 in August. I don't blame the Falcons at all for taking a shot.

People are acting as if Cousins is Tom Brady. Like he should be guaranteed a starting job based on winning nothing. That only happens in Dallas.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Here is an analogy to what the Falcons did. They followed the Green Bay Packers model.

I'm not saying that Penix will be Aaron Rodgers or Love, although who knows. But the Packers drafted Love when they already had Rodgers signed.

Love got to sit and learn. There was no pressure. How'd that work out? As I recall, the Packers kicked our asses all over the field and almost made it to the SB.

If you believe in your draft process and you think the QB will be good, then you take him because you never know when that chance might come around again.

The Falcons could finish with the 25th pick in the draft this season. I mean, Kirk Cousins is supposed to be a major improvement at QB, right? Would a QB they would like as much as they apparently like Penix be there at pick 25 or 20? How about 2025? The Falcons are probably assuming that with Cousins, their great RB, their TE, etc. they will be picking 20th or later in 2025 too.

Despite what Nick Eatman says, you do not take a QB when you need him. You take a QB when you can get him and then sort it out later.

It amazes me how we see the Green Bay Packers pick QBs time and time again even when they don't need one. Even when they already have great ones like Farve. Be successful with it, and then criticize a team for trying it.

Again, Lance is a totally different deal because he is on a 1 year contract. We are in essence developing him for another team.

Unless Jerry is pulling the "just because I say it doesn't make it so" act with Dak.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is an analogy to what the Falcons did. They followed the Green Bay Packers model.
Love was the 26th pick of the draft that yr. Penix was the 8th.

First, it's almost an iron clad lock that had the Packers had a much earlier pick (like the Falcons) they would have used that on a position player to help him. Second, Love was an end of the pick first rounder backing up a guy that was 38 years old.

You don't see the difference? Again if you don't, there's just not much else to discuss.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

It amazes me how we see the Green Bay Packers pick QBs time and time again even when they don't need one. Even when they already have great ones like Farve. Be successful with it, and then criticize a team for trying it.
How old was Favre when Rodgers was drafted? Where in that draft did they get Rodgers?

Do you just not understand this?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Again, Lance is a totally different deal because he is on a 1 year contract. We are in essence developing him for another team.
You've been repeating this over and over but when we traded for him, he didnt have 1 yr left on his deal. He had two years under contract plus the 5th yr option (which we could have exercised). Since we didn't do that, we can continue to try and sign him to a multi year deal OR use the franchise or transition tag if we need to. Or if she shows nothing then we let him walk and we don't lose any dead money. We invested a 4th rd pick on a guy with size, arm talent and athletic ability. He has not played much and unfortunately got hurt twice (after he won the starting jobs in SF)

You keep calling it a bad trade and it clearly was not.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You keep calling it a bad trade and it clearly was not.

None of us really know that. I don't think it was a bad trade but I think Aggie is looking at from the perspective of what was given up in recent QB trades. Personnally, I don't care about the 4th when it's for a QB. Having said that, our folks should be in the know about QB's and should have a good understanding of where Lance is in the process and what his limitations are.

For example, I think BP knew from Day 1 Drew Henson was washed and when I saw him in NFL Europe, I knew it then too. I wonder if they get the same vibes from Lance.....

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
None of us really know that. I don't think it was a bad trade but I think Aggie is looking at from the perspective of what was given up in recent QB trades. Personnally, I don't care about the 4th when it's for a QB. Having said that, our folks should be in the know about QB's and should have a good understanding of where Lance is in the process and what his limitations are.

For example, I think BP knew from Day 1 Drew Henson was washed and when I saw him in NFL Europe, I knew it then too. I wonder if they get the same vibes from Lance.....
Could be. They've obviously seen him every day in practice and meetings.

I just have a hard time condemning them for trading an end of the 4th rd pick for a QB drafted as high as Lance was. He didnt get "beat out" or show "he cannot play" either. He lost starting jobs he won due to injury. To me its worth the risk/reward there.

I'd say everyone will know for sure after training camp and preseason this year. I suspect if he can't show progress and at least be the #2, he won't be on the roster to start the season. They'll release him or try to offload him for an end of the day three type pick somewhere,

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was really hoping that we would draft Jerry Rice’s kid just to force him to have to root for the Cowboys!

What a missed opportunity to have that shot of Jerry Rice wearing his son’s Cowboy jersey in the stands at Jerry world on Monday Night Football in front of the entire world!!!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I was really hoping that we would draft Jerry Rice’s kid just to force him to have to root for the Cowboys!

What a missed opportunity to have that shot of Jerry Rice wearing his son’s Cowboy jersey in the stands at Jerry world on Monday Night Football in front of the entire world!!!
I didnt want anything to do with flamer boy's son. Never wanted to see him have anything to do with us.

Kevin Smith owned his ass for a couple years too. (and not it the way Jerry the Fairy would have preferred)

Top Bottom